I always get asked about posing tips and thought it might be helpful to jot them all down for you. There are SO many and just picking one or two of these tips can help you feel confident and make your photos stand out. Remember to just "relax". I know, it is easier said than done but truly, that is the best tip I can give you. :)
1) Power of Positive thinking. Think good thoughts & genuinely happy things.... the birth of your baby, your wonderful beach vacation, your puppy dog, your first kiss... whatever it takes.. It will help you smile and enjoy the process.
3) Facing the camera - Don't face the camera head on as it tends to make you look wide. If you stand slightly angled (45 degrees) then you look slimmer and we all want that, don't we? If you angle your face towards the camera, it also helps deliver visual interest in your image and the angles make your jaw look awesome!
4) Sitting - If you are sitting in an image, then make sure and sit up straight, don't slouch or lean back and sit on the EDGE of the chair so your thighs don't look like pancakes. :)
5) If it Bends, Bend it! No one stands looking like a nutcracker! Bending arms and legs makes you look more relaxed and happy! Slightly bend a leg and put your weight on the straight leg while pushing your hips back and away from the camera you will look like a true model! Remember, whatever is closer to the camera looks the biggest so keep your hips and legs back.
6) You can also cross your ankles - As you stand, turn your body to a 45 degree angle from the camera and then cross your angles and put your weight on your back leg. See both examples below.
7) Relax your shoulders! They are a sure sign of stress and consciously relax... roll your shoulders back and then turtle the chin... take it one step further by popping your jaw towards camera if you want a strong line created by the shadow.
8) To help slim your facial features, then keep your chin forward and down. The idea is that you want to elongate your neck and give your jaw sharp angles and create shadows. If you raise your chin forward slightly and pop your jaw towards the camera then this will help create a strong jaw with great shadows.This can be a slimming look that highlights your facial features.
Posing Dont'sMost people pull away from the camera when having their photos taken and it results in a double chin. Push your head out like a turtle and chin down to create a shadow underneath your chin. Posing Do'sThis is a great example of your chin forward and slightly down but it's also great negative space around her waist!
9) Soft, ballet hands - soft and dainty. Don’t clump your fingers together and avoid showing the back of your hand. Why? Because backs of hands are big and ugly…sides of hands are small and dainty. :)
Posing Dont'sKeeping your hands in a fist makes you look angry, uncomfortable and aggressive. Relax!
10) Negative space.. Create space around your torso by bending your elbows and creating space between your arms and your waist. This instantly slims you down!!
Remember, trying to do all of these at once will make you stressed out and stiff. Just pick one or two that feel most natural and then relax and enjoy the process!